Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Orientation Is Much More Fun When You Are A 2L

Last week I had the opportunity to assist with the 1L orientation at school.  It was a really nice experience for me, and additionally I would like to think that I helped some 1Ls feel more comfortable with the experience.

We started giving a nice campus tour, which I really enjoyed.  (I was an professional tour guide in undergrad, and it remains one of my favorite job experiences).  I also tried to make it a point to show them not just buildings, but the places they would need to know.  Where offices were, good places to study, places to print, etc.

Then we got to herd them all across busy Maryland Avenue into the library, the only room big enough to fit all the new students.  That intersection is particulary tough for pedestrians, but by the middle of the first month of school, you just dive across uncaringly.  It is funny to watch the 1Ls wait for the walk signal and then fearfully dart across.

Here is where orientation as a 2L is much better.  While they all sat and listened to the Dean (actually, a pretty engaging presentation, and he updated it from last year!), and then got a solid hour of "Honor Code Hypos," I got to relax and catch up with my fellow volunteers about their summers.  It is amazing how nice it is to NOT be stuck sitting in a crowded auditorium for hours on end.  I did make it a point to listen to the Chief Justice's speech before he administered the honor code oath.

Really, the best part of the day was lunch, where I sat with a group of students and gave them as much info as I could about law school.  I tried to answer as many questions as possible, but they didn't really have many, so I just talked about mistakes I made my first year.  "Get to class at least 15 minutes early the first week so you can sit in a chair." That kind of stuff.  Study guides actually do help, but are really expensive.  These kids seemed to have it pretty well together, they seemed most nervous about actually attending class.  "Can you skip?" No. "Do the Professors skip?" No.  "What do you call the professors? Dr?" No, Professor Last Name is a good, safe, pattern.

According to the Dean, they are the best credentialled class ever, which sounds about right.  I got to say, Good Luck to you all, and I will reiterate what I said to my group at lunch, if you ever need any help, just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment