Thursday, May 19, 2011

Internship Update

Wow, is my summer internship awesome this summer.

First of all, let me start by saying that last summer's internship was awesome as well, but mostly because the judge I was interning with went out of his way to make sure it was.

This summer, however, is off to a great start.

First of all, I am real intern this summer.  I have a cubicle, a desk, a computer, a phone.  No longer I am sitting on a couch taking notes and generally just paying attention, I now come in and get to my own work assignments.  It is very cool.

What is also cool is how well everyone in the office treats me.  First of all, every attorney, office assistant, paralegal, and legal assistant has already come up and introduced themselves and offered support.  They all seem to appreciate that I am helping out.  Also, they are fairly laid back in office protocols.  Although I am usually the type to show up early, it seems as though I could work 10-6 if I preferred.  Either way, no one seems to be hovering over me and constantly checking up, which is how I often felt at my previous (non-legal) job.

As for the work, so far it has been interesting.  I won't go into details, but so far I have researched the history of a sentencing statute, done research on a particularly narrow Supreme Court exhaustion ruling, and assisted in preparing a file for a re-sentencing hearing.  All of which has tested my legal and professional skills, and which has kept me very busy.

So far, so good with the internship.  I honestly can't wait until next week for more.  I hope at the end of the summer I am still enjoying it this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment