Saturday, July 11, 2009

Ten Questions for Law Students

I finally got my schedule for the upcoming semester! Even though we have been warned repeatedly that 'nothing is final until August 7' (a few days before classes start), I can't help but look ahead to the coming semester.

I do have a few questions for those of you who have already experienced your first year of law school, and therefore created the easiest test you will ever take relating to law school:

Question 1: I only am scheduled for about 10-15 hours of class, as of now. I am wondering how accurate this is. I have heard that I can expect additional time spent in mandatory small group discussions and TA reviews. About how much of your time is scheduled by your school throughout the week? (My guess is that it doesn't matter, you are at the school about 40 hours per week regardless.)

Question 2: Additionally, in college I was told to expect about 2 hours of work outside of class for each hour spent at class. Therefore 15 credit hours per week was assumed to have about 30 hours of work per week outside of class. Is there a commonly accepted ratio for law school? (I am thinking it has got to be worse than undergrad.)

Question 3: And as a follow up, I found that I spent about 10 hours per week outside of class doing school work, the rest of the time I spent socializing, playing sports, Halo and Smash Bros, or doing volunteer and extra curricula. Plus I was employed all through college. How much free time can I expect? (My guess: Sports? Socializing? Halo? Ha! Try reading, writing, and studying.)

Question 4: I have been told law school is uber competitive and there is no such thing as a study group since no one wants to help anyone get ahead. Is this true?

Question 5: Do professors really call on you at random all the time, or just on days when they don't have a full lecture planned?

Question 6: My college roommate is now in medical school, and he reports that he is almost encouraged NOT to go to class but to instead download the notes and audio recording. Is this the case in law school?

Question 7: My other college roommate told me, "Law school is no different than college except you have to read every night." Fair assumption?

Question 8: Take notes via laptop or pen and paper? (I'm leaning heavily towards pen and paper, besides, how do you not get distracted by Twitter/Facebook/Instant Messanger?)

Question 9: At every open house or accepted student's day I attended, or every blog I read by law students or admissions experts, incoming students always ask "What can I do to prepare?" and current students or experts always say, "Relax, enjoy life, spend time with friends and family, do fun reading, see a movie, sleep." Anyone else want to add an opinion? (This is going to be the topic of my next post as well, I'll include your answers.)

Question 10: I am not sure what kind of law I would like to practice, or how I will ultimately use my law degree. Is this going to put me behind? Should I pick something that sounds good and go for it, or should I just wait and see if anything catches my eye? (I ask because I know that pretty much as soon as I start school I also need to be thinking about a summer job or internship, and start defining my career.)

BONUS QUESTION: What is the one thing you wish you knew before you started your first year? (WRITE ANYTHING AND I WILL GIVE YOU CREDIT. Except for 'Wear Sunscreen', that is overused and unoriginal, without being a classic.

Leave me answers in the comments and I will share them later!

No comments:

Post a Comment