Saturday, August 1, 2009

Preparing for Law School

Friday I cleared another milestone, completing my last day of employment with my last job. It was truly a bittersweet moment.

Now I have a week of free time prior to orientation. In attempting to think of something useful to write about, I was thinking of some common questions. The one I came up with is "What is there to do to prepare for law school once you have been accepted?" This question has been asked over and over, either by myself or by others. Although at this time I cannot answer it, I want to set in the record answers I have heard.

From current law students:
"Read Twilight."
"Spend time with family and friends, you might not see them once school starts."
"Sleep, you won't be able to do that anymore."
"It doesn't matter, nothing will help."
"Law school is unlike anything you have done before, you cannot really know what it is like without just doing it."

From admissions professionals or law professors:

"Relax, you have already done enough."
"Don't be scammed out of money for prep courses."
"Practice your reading and writing."

My school, for its part, sent a few suggestions:

Read Law School Exams: Preparing and Writing to Win
Refresh knowledge of US Government
They also left a list of reading/movies, including To Kill a Mockingbird, Twleve Angry Men, Legally Blonde and The Verdict.
This list was prefaced with, "Relax. Really."

For my part, in preparation I have done the following:

Begun following law - related people on Twitter (see here), started this blog, and picked up a copy of Law School Exams. I haven't finished it yet, and I obviously haven't started school yet, but when I do I will come back to this and let you know what worked for me.

Also, if any of you out there want to share either advice from experience or, if you are an entering 1L like me, what you have done so far, leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment