Sunday, September 5, 2010

Moot Court

2L also means participation in Moot Court for myself.  As a member of the IP team, I am both excited and nervous about this opportunity.

The excitement comes from the chance to get my name out there in an inter-school competition, in front of current practitioners, and be able to show my skills.  As someone who was highly involved with competitive sports growing up, I sometimes miss the adrenaline rush of really getting in there and destroying  your opponent.  Oral arguments do a great job, however, of providing that kind of outlet.  There is something amazing about the feeling you get when you hear a question coming, and you not only know how to answer it, but to bring it back to your argument and your theme, and man, does it just feel great.

Otherwise, I am also excited that I will get to really do some in-depth work in a narrow area of the law, and to top it all off, one that I am very, very, interested in.  If nothing else, I will be able to learn it inside and out.  And I will get to practice my brief writing skills in a big way, since we are required to write two briefs of 30 pages each, and we are a two person team.

And yet I am very nervous.  It is going to be a lot of work.  During orientation/training, they provided a suggested schedule.  It involved 8 hours per day, everyday, for over a month.  I have no idea how I can possibly fit that into my schedule.  I don't know if I have 8 hours per day that aren't already scheduled for class...

And I am a little nervous about pulling my weight.  I never want to be the weak link of a team, but when the team is only two, and your teammate is on law review, scored higher in the try out competition, gets better grades than you, and has landed better internships than you, it gets tough.

Luckily, its still early.  We haven't even done the practice brief at this point.  Yeah, the required practice brief, in case the regular one isn't enough work already.  Either way, I am pretty excited, so look for more coverage of this in the coming months.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck bro. I'm curious to read about your moot court adventures.

    ReplyDelete