Saturday, June 13, 2009

Law School Social

One of my first official law school experiences was a baseball game and happy hour this weekend. Our law school was able to secure two free tickets for every incoming student at the Orioles game against the Braves. Awesome, right? Also, prior to the game there was a happy hour at a nearby bar for some drinks and food.

I was a little nervous about attending this event, knowing no one, but luckily all first year students also received those awesome Baltimore Law shirts, so I was hoping we would all be wearing one.

I got held up at work, but did get to some of the happy hour. I was clearly in the minority of those who decided to actually wear their shirts, but it was a great event to meet some of my soon to be classmates.

One thing I did discover is that everyone has a different expectation of their first year. Some are already in a panic about the amount of work. Some are already working on "Before You Start Law School" textbooks and courses. Some are concerned about how often they will be able to go out during the week.

I was also surprised by the varying age range and experience levels of those attending. Many were right out of college, quite a few had some full time work experience, and there were a few older students. I think I am in the minority of students who did not work at a law firm prior to enrollment. I am hopeful that this will not be a setback. Personally, I think my work experience has actually prepared me more for law school than anything else I have done up to this point.

Although the game did not go well (O's lost, pretty badly), a free ticket is something I will never turn down. I also enjoyed the chance to meet some of my future classmates. Finally, if nothing else, I am now really excited to start school soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment