Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Choice - Part 3 "Why UB?"

(The Choice is an ongoing section where I will be examining my decision to attend the University of Baltimore.)

I have meandered around slightly on this topic, and I feel it is time for me to actually talk about what drew me to the University of Baltimore.

I initially applied due to the location. I have lived in Baltimore for the past 6 years, and absolutely adore the city. I am well established here, and besides, the only two law schools in Maryland are within a mile of each other right in Baltimore City.

Secondly, I had heard great things about the school. Everyone I talked to about it knew someone who was either in the program or had completed the program, and all they could say is "He/She loved it!"

Additionally, according to my LSAT/UGPA numbers, it was a school that I was highly likely to be accepted to.

Once my acceptances came around, I had a few options. The University of Baltimore was, by far, the most affordable. Public school tuition at in-state rates, combined with the highly affordable housing options made Baltimore the financial no-brainer. My Twitter contacts (click here) agree.

I also attended the accepted students day, and when Dean Closius spoke, I was further encouraged. He addressed head on the school's short comings and took any question from students or parents attending.

Still, I think the final decision came down to two things: The Location and The Price. I really liked the University of Miami, but the housing discussed by current students and the school ran at least double the price of my current apartment. I also considered Hofstra, but even with a large scholarship the tuition was rather high. Drexel appealed to me, but I was a bit put off by the accreditation situation, and again, even with a large scholarship it was more expensive. Finally, Baltimore is home to my current social network, my past professional network (including mental health, social work, restaurant and security fields) and my small but hopefully burgeoning legal network.

Now, having made my choice, I am highly satisfied and cannot wait for school to start!

For all you current (or former) students, how did you decide which school to attend?

No comments:

Post a Comment