Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I am now officially a law student

I got cold called for the first time today!

You know what, cold calling has some benefits, I have decided:

I actually have incentive to try. Nothing is better than really prepping for a class, getting cold called, and being able to match every question your professor throws at you.

It also keeps a few kids from dominating the discussion. It gives everyone an equal chance to talk (at least with my professors using the deck of cards method) and I think the class benefits from hearing everyone talk.

It keeps me engaged. I think the nerves and anxiety are kind of fun. If you never have a chance to develop and practice that killer instinct, where will you be when you are out in the real world. Better to get called on and fall on your face in class, you have next class to try again. This might not be true in a professional setting.

It levels the playing field. It always drove me nuts in undergrad when some students would raise their hands to restate the professors words as their own. Professor: "Therefore, X equals Y." Student: "So then you could also say that Y equals X." Wow, genius. Thanks for that. But they always got great class participation marks. Additionally, students are no longer able to hide in the back, and then go to the professor for office hours to get participation points. Now, everyone has to earn them equally.

Man, and I love the challenge of it. You get your reading, and you can do it, or not. And then you sit in class, and you could go check your email, or not. And it all depends on how bad you want it. If you want it bad enough, you will put in the time reading the extra hypotheticals in the casebook, or you will keep all your notes open on your computer, plus your casebook on your lap, and your rule book next to you computer.

And the best professors are just like my high school soccer coach. A man of few words, but with a legendary resume. He never yelled at you to do anything, he just told you what he wanted. You did it or didn't. He never yelled if you didn't, he just moved onto someone who wanted it more than you. Anyone could be successful, if they worked at it. My professors are the same way.

I also think as students, from my peers, older students, and reading other blogs, make way to much out of it. Yeah, it is nerve racking, but I bet trying to argue to a judge is much worse. And yes, sometimes professors ask bizarre questions that you couldn't possibly understand, but if you really listen and think about it, you can probably learn more from getting one of those then being asked "What court was this in?"

I don't know why, but for some reason today's experience has me pumped up for school. I think getting called on was probably the biggest adrenaline rush I have had in a long time.

1 comment:

  1. This lasts until you are grilled about a question beyond the scope of sanity.

    But other than that, I have no problems with Mr. Socrates.

    ReplyDelete