Thursday, June 3, 2010

Law Journal Journal: Part 2

Well, part two is here super fast.  I have had some time to do some writing, fortunately.  If you remember from Law Journal Journal: Part 1, I spent some time goofing off after finals, started on the write on, then regretted it but discovered I was too heavily invested to quit, then pulled an all nighter to get it ready to go.

It is now about 3:00PM, the day it is due.  The deadline is 6:00PM, at the law school library.

Also, please note that each competition packet consists of your casenote (20 pages), the grade release form (1 page) and the official entry form (1 page).  You must have seven copies of each for each journal you are trying out for, there are 4 total.  You also must do one bluebook editing exercise (4 pages) for each journal you want to try out for, additionally, all the edits must be in red ink.  So as you can see, just trying out for one journal requires some 150 copies...

Ok, 3:00PM: Self-imposed deadline hits, I save, email myself a copy, put a copy on my flash drive, get dressed, and head out the door.

3:15PM: I arrive at Rite-Aid, where I purchase an energy drink and red pens.  I select a "variety pack" that has one red pen, one blue pen, and one black pen.  This is important later.

3:30PM: I arrive at school, having downed the energy drink, and head to the computer lab.  I opt to avoid the law library lab, and head instead for the general purpose one.

3:32PM: There are four people in the lab, all working on the casenote.  I nod hello, and begin working.  Of course, as soon as I pull up my paper, I begin to notice errors, and start editing.  Again.

4:00PM: My next self-imposed deadline passes, so I stop what I am doing and hit print.  The printer is jammed...I poke around inside the door for a few minutes, but it seems hopeless.  Fortunately, there is a second printer in the room, but that one is tied up running off 28 copies for one of my classmates.

4:05PM: Much to my classmates chagrin, my paper somehow squeaks out between copies of hers.  I grab it and run.

4:20PM: I find parking near the UPS store.

4:21PM: I discover the UPS store closes early on Sundays.

4:22PM: I discover the MailBoxes Etc. store closes early on Sundays.

4:23PM: I discover the independent printing and shipping store closes early on Sundays.

4:35PM: I arrive, dripping sweat, at the FedEx store.  They are open until 8 on Sundays. I purchase envelopes and begin making copies.  While the copy machine is running, I start to fill out my bluebook exercises.  I have already done 8 of the 10, so I only have to do the remaining 2, and then begin copying them.

4:36PM: I open my new red pen, and notice that it is only 1.5 inches long, and "mini" model.

4:37PM: I complete the next blue book exercise.

4:38PM: The red pen stops writing.  I shake it, I hold it between my fingers, I write fast scribbles in my notebook, I suck on it, nothing.  I take it apart.  Nothing.

4:40PM: I am informed that FedEx only sells blue and black pens.

4:41PM: I arrive at the CVS.  The door is locked.  The sign says open until 5.  An elderly woman with a walker comes up behind me.  She begins hitting the door.  Apparently she has prescriptions to pick up.  The CVS employee comes to the door and gestures that it is closed.  I point to the sticker on the window that says open until 5.  He runs his finger under his neck in a gesture that many use to mean "You are dead."  I wonder if maybe he is talking about the woman yelling about her "blood medications."  I attempt to simply force the door open.  The police officer tells me to stop.

4:50PM: I stop off at my car.  Inside, I frantically look for a red pen (I usually tons of pens in my car) but for some reason my car is really clean on the inside.  I remind myself to later see if it was maybe broken into recently.

4:53PM: In pure desperation, as only a law student knows how to, I take the pen apart, and bite the ink cartridge.  Sticky, sweet, ink runs all over my mouth.  I frantically try to dip the tip of other pens in the ink and write with it, quill style.  It doesn't work.  I try dragging the broken ink cartridge across the paper.  It works, but is mostly messy.

4:55PM: I run back to FedEx, asking everyone along the way if they have a red pen.  For some reason, people won't even talk to me.

5:01PM: Back at FedEx, I ask everyone in the store if they have a red pen.  The cashier, who I asked for one from before, tells me to leave the other customers alone.

5:02PM: I complete the last editing exercise in black ink.

5:15PM: I make all my copies, and begin stuffing envelopes.

5:16PM: I discover FedEx has the most amazing stapler ever.  Seriously, this thing drives right through hundreds of pages with no effort.

5:35PM: I approach the register, and send my packets in, certified mail.  I ask the clerk about 15 times if he can make sure it gets postmarked BEFORE 6.  He assures me it will.

5:43PM: I hand over $60...

5:44PM: Everything is postmarked, sealed, and will be on its way.  I am done.

5:52PM: Sitting in my car, I adjust the rearview mirror that was knocked about during my frantic search for a pen.  I discover that I have red ink literally running down my chin, and it is caked into my teeth.

6:13PM: After chewing two entire packs of gum, I call law school buddy.  Neither of us form coherent sentences, but the general consensus is "never again."

6:14PM: I drive home, go through two toothbrushes and the last half of my giant bottle of listerene, and still tasting ink, collapse into bed.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to think that success in the writing competition is directly proportional to the amount of ink you ingest. Get ready for law review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it flowing through my veins!!!

    ReplyDelete