Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Politicians Behaving Awesomely

I must confess, that despite my law school habits, I generally am not a huge fan of current politics.  I say informed, and am able to articulate my own opinions, and vote accordingly, but I personally like to keep a low profile in this area.

Maryland politics, my adoptive home, are slowly unraveling themselves to me, which is nice, but I still don't know all the players and arenas.  So at my internship this week, something really struck me.  A gentleman brought suit against the State, alleging negligence on the part of the police and other administrative agencies.  I am not going to go very far into detail, but it was not a police brutality case, it was more along the lines of the police lawfully taking property into custody, but then either stealing it, allowing it to be stolen, or simply losing it.  At least, that is what this man's complaint alleges.

Well, the value of the property was pretty high, but still small claims court.  And this man is not well versed in the law, however defense counsel for the State quite obviously is.  So as his case is called, a stately dressed woman heads up to the trial table, but doesn't introduce herself as record, as per usual.  My Judge goes through the opening, and it turns out that due to the vast amount of witnesses, the case needs to be specially set.

After the case, sitting in My Judge's chambers, we are discussing the case (mostly because defense counsel mentioned through proffer that she does not believe Res Ipsa Loquitur applies.  My Judge asked me my opinion, and I told him I thought it was a tough argument and gave my reasons, and to which he replied "Nice work" which I am still feeling good about.

But more importantly, he explained that the woman assisting the plaintiff is a city council woman.  She apparently entered herself in writing as a interested party, stating that this is one of her constituents, and since it is important to him, it is important to her.  And therefore, she spent a half day in court today, and will be spending another half day when the case is reset.

That really struck me.  First of all, she is a city council woman GOING UP AGAINST THE STATE, including the MAYOR'S OFFICE and THE CHIEF OF POLICE.  There is no way she is making friends by doing this.  Bad politics? Sure sounds like it.  But at the same time, isn't that why we vote for people? To represent our rights, against others as necessary, whether or not other people like it? The point of a democratic government is to be able to have officials tied to their constituents, not their other government cronies.

And I am sure this may be a bit of a publicity stunt.  I am sure this council woman will remind people of this come election season.  Even with that, it was authentic.  She spent from 1-5 in the courtroom today, and will spend at least that long again.  And she was doing real, useful help for this man, who is going up against the powerful state.

A refreshing look at politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment