Thursday, June 10, 2010

There is no summary judgment at district court

Who knew?  But, after having reviewed the Maryland Rules of Civil Procedure, yes, it is true, there is no summary judgment in district court.  See all these useful things I am learning during my internship?

On a more serious note, this does directly relate to my internship.  There also are no real written opinions, and very few questions of substantive law at district court.  Therefore, while I get to see a lot, and I am actually learning a ton, I don't do much in the way of "work" for My Judge.  So far the most important project I have completed successfully updating My Judge's trial manual with the past two years worth of supplements and changes.

Therefore, I was really, really excited when he very seriously told me he had a month long project for me to work on.  And it involves LEGAL RESEARCH.  So I happily ran to school the very next day, and printed out a few hundred cases, and dug into my undergrad days to find some scholarly journals of a non-legal nature, and began reading.

It is also amazing how much more excited you get about legal work when you aren't having it shoved forcibly down your throat 6 days a week.  It's really refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment